Sunday, July 5, 2009

Climate Change!

I think there's no better example of climate change than whats happening in our very own Mumbai. Those of us who have grown up in this city would remember the horror we faced in the months of July & Aug. Yesterday the heavy rains and minor flooding reminded me of those good old day inspite of the fact that i was stuck in traffic endlessly. And the fact is that I dont even like Mumbai Monsoons all that much except when we're asked to go home early or I'm indoors, dry and cozy. Some years ago I remember this friend of mine who commented on one particularly wet day....he said "why cant it rain only in the catchment areas so that we have no water shortage..or better still rain only in the night so that we can travel in the day without hassles". If only nature were that kind to us. More than anything else I dislike people especially chirpy RJs who talk about romance in the rain when you're getting drenched at Mahim causeway on your way to work.

Anyways coming back to climate change and I'm no scientist of weather expert but its my observation that the monsoon has changed its course over the past few years and so now we have a hot and dry June and a hint of rain in the begining of July. Then maybe one month of pouring rain then again a hot and humid break with intermittent rain which does nothing to keep the temperature down.

Its also my observation that over the past few years we've been praying for rain almost every year now. We implore God to shower the earth when it gets too hot. I wonder if we do this because God doesnt realise that it time to bring down the rain or over the past few years there's not enough rain to go around so he has to ration it and thats why we get it late and not much of it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment