Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The beautiful game is here!

Let me be frank; I'm not a big football fan who would wake up in the middle of the night to watch an EPL match. I would rather follow the results in the papers the next day. However, once every 4 years I become that obsessive fan who follows every match and discusses it the next day. I walk into office with blood shot eyes because I probably havent slept much thanks to an interesting match the previous night.

My love affair with the Football World Cup (and I hate calling it Soccer) started when I first saw
a match between Argentina & Cameroon (i think) during Italia'90. Since then two things happened. I'm became an ardent follower of the tournament and Argentina became my all time favourite team. Oh! And the third thing was that Maradona became my all time favourite football player. Incidently I'm very excited that my favourite player is the coach of my favourite team this time round. Lets hope this arrangement brings them success

The other reason for my enthusiasm was probably the fact that football was the only sport that I was kind of good at. You see I was (or am) terrible at sports. The kids in my society would cringe to include me in any sport be it cricket, volley ball or even hide& seek. But in footwall i was kind of an asset because i was a slightly larger in size for my age and that made me a good defender. So when the opposite striker would attack with the ball i would attack the player rather than the ball and most of the times save a possible goal. And once in a while i made a good goalkeeper too.

So as you can see I'm terribly excited at the prospect of another World Cup. Fortunately this time its in Africa and I believe the timings are not going to be all that bad. This means that starting 11th June my evenings are booked. Hate to break this news to my wife on my blog but that the truth honey!

Waka! Waka! This time for Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment